Best Places to Shop in New York: Macy’s
Are you planning a visit to New York? See this informative article, ‘Best Places to Shop in New York: Macy’s’ to learn about one of New York’s most popular attractions and a certified New York Landmark.
Arguably, New York is widely considered the shopping capitol of the world! Visitors and local New Yorkers have no shortage of shopping choices to include wonderful shops, department stores, boutiques, luxury stores, thrift stores, flea markets and Outlet Malls.
It’s no secret that New York Shopping is one of the Top things to do in NYC, so come and browse, window shop or test the limits of your credit cards...and self-control.
When you think of New York, few major Department stores come to mind before Macy’s. Macy’s Department store is considered one of the most visited Department stores in the city. So, there’s no better store to highlight in our article; 'Best Places to Shop in New York: Macy’s.'
Since its early days, Macy’s Herald Square was an important store with a unique persona. Over the past 150 years, Macy’s has become a legend in New York, and visiting the world-famous department store is certainly one of the Things to Do in NYC that helps to create a quintessential NYC experience.
Macy’s Department Store
Location: 151 West 34th Street (between 7th Ave & Broadway), New York, NY 10001
Distance from Hotel Mela: 9 Blocks
Macy’s New York is the world’s largest Department Store and is also a registered New York City Landmark. Tourists and locals alike flock to Macy’s throughout the year to browse the 9 floors of mid-range and high-end labels, as well as a wonderful selection of gourmet goods.
Interesting facts about Macy’s New York:
- Macy’s Herald Square was built in 1902, and it was the first building in NYC to have a modern elevator. Macy’s building is 2,500,000 square-feet, including 1,250,000 square-feet of expansive retail space.
- Macy’s Herald Square is home to 22 restaurants. When you need a bit of energy, or a break from all the wonderful shopping, you can enjoy a bite to eat or a coffee and watch the fellow shoppers enjoying their day.
- Imagine gentlemen wearing top hats and customers riding up and down on the famous wooden escalators inside. That’s the vintage atmosphere that you’ll find at Macy’s NYC, along with a contemporary offering of men’s and women’s fashion, jewelry, purses, shoes, furniture, make up, and a variety of accessories.
- Let’s Drink! Prohibition was alive and thriving in NYC but when this (in our opinion a ‘silly law’) ended, the first liquor license in New York City was given to R.H. Macy & Co.
- You ought to be in pictures! Macy’s New York has been featured in up to 50 TV shows and movies including ‘Elf’ starring Will Farrell, ‘Miracle on 34th Street,’ ‘King Kong,’ ‘Ocean’s Eleven,’ ‘Friends,’ ‘Seinfeld’ to name only a few.
- 20 million: This is the number of people who visit Macy’s Herald Square every year!
- Macy’s is also a major supporter of famous New York events including Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Macy’s Flower Show and Macy’s Fourth of July Celebration.
New York is home to many interesting and famous stores, and Macy’s is at the top of the list for many shoppers. During your next visit to New York, be sure to allow for some time to visit this amazing mecca of retail, enjoy a coffee or a bit of lunch or dinner at one of the 22 on-site restaurants and be sure to take a ride up the famous wooden escalators.
We hope you enjoyed this NYC Visitors Blog article, ‘Best Places to Shop in New York: Macy’s’ and be sure to visit our New York Visitors Blog again to read about other top Things to do in New York.
Visit our New York Visitors Guide to learn more about the things to do, see and experience during your next visit to New York City.
When you are ready to book your next visit to New York, see our current Special Offers for the ‘Guaranteed Best Rates’ at our Times Square Hotel.