Things to do in NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art
If you’re planning a visit to New York, see this article, in our NYC Visitors Blog, ‘Things to do in NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art’ to learn how to make the most of your visit to one of New York’s most popular attractions.
If a visit to a top museum is on your ‘to do’ list while visiting New York, you should consider a day at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. This article; ‘Things to do in NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art’ – in our NYC Visitors Blog will give you a bit of insight on how to make the most of your visit to this amazing museum.
A group of American citizens founded The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1870. The founders were businessmen and financiers, as well as leading artists and thinkers of the day who sought out a NYC Museum that would bring the most heralded art and art education to Americans.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Location: 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028
Distance from Hotel Mela: 2.7 Miles
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the largest art museums in the United States. This top New York Attraction, known simply as “The Met,” offers one of the finest displays of Japanese art, jewelry, sculpture, drawings, prints, and pottery in the world.
Whether you have a day or two to spend in the city, this famous museum should be on your list of Things to do in New York. During your visit you’ll see a wide variety of works by Warhol, Jack Whitten, Siah Armajani and other icons. Visitors also can see some of the most exquisite, ancient Buddhist pieces of art available in the world today.
Visitors can guide themselves around the fabulous galleries, which house more than 2 million items on display, or take one of the great tours offered by The Met.
Why You Should Visit The Met:
The Met is among the 10 largest art museums on the planet, and some say it features the most significant art collections of our time. Seventeen curatorial departments in The Met’s main building, which sits on the eastern edge of Central Park, offer an incredible chance to view exhibits that include European, Egyptian, American African, Asian, Oceanic, Islamic, and Byzantine art.
Enjoy an afternoon viewing inspiring exhibits of musical instruments, costumes and accessories, antique weapons and armor, and notable interiors ranging from 1st-century Rome through contemporary American design.
Paintings and sculptures from classical antiquity to modern art fill the galleries in the main building, which sits right in the middle of Museum Mile.
A much smaller second location at “The Cloisters,” in Upper Manhattan, features an outstanding collection of medieval art. The Met’s main building and The Cloisters are located on the east side of Central Park, off 5th Avenue. The Met is easily assessed by taxi, Uber or via Subway.
The Met Visitors Tips:
- The Met’s main building is open 7 days a week, throughout the year, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, January 1st, and the first Monday in May. The Cloisters follow the same daily schedule; however, they are open during the entire month of May.
- The extensive collections of The Met attract are estimated to attract more visitors than any other attraction in New York City – approximately about 5 million visitor’s per year.
- The Admission Fee for The Met allows for entrance to the main building and The Cloisters and is a recommended price of $25 per adult. Contact The Met for the latest admission pricing.
- The Met is open 7 days a week from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. On Friday and Saturday night the museum is open until 9:00 p.m., and the many guests begin to leave in the late afternoon making the museum easier to get around.
- The Met offers special rates for NYC visitors, and for those who are members of educational groups. Check with The Met Website for details.
- Guided tours of The Met are available in a variety of languages.
- There are several Dining options located at The Met, including a Martini Bar, Cafeteria, Roof Garden Café, and Dining Room.
This NYC Visitor Blog article, ‘Things to do in NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art’ - presents only a few of the great reasons and tips for making the most of your visit to The Met, there is so much more to do and see at this wonderful and important museum.
When you are ready to book your next visit to NYC, see our current Special Offers for the ‘Guaranteed Best Rates’ at our Times Square Hotel.
If you are looking for more New York things to do, see our New York Visitors Guide for more inspiration!