Top New York Attractions: Visit the American Museum of Natural History
If you’re planning a visit to New York, see this article in our NYC Visitors Blog, ‘Top New York Attractions: Visit the American Museum of Natural History’ to learn how to make the most of your visit to one of New York’s most popular attractions.
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the most popular Museums in the world and one of the most famous New York Attractions. Guests who enter the Museum are greeted by an impressive dinosaur display – and that’s just the beginning! The American Museum of Natural History is certainly one of the best things to do in New York City.
This latest article; ‘Top New York Attractions: Visit the American Museum of Natural History’ – in our NYC Visitors Blog will give you insight on how to make the most of your visit to this popular New York attraction during your next visit to New York.
American Museum of Natural History
Location: Central Park West at 79th Street, New York, NY 10024-5192
Distance from Hotel Mela: 2.6 Miles
Dinosaurs anyone? How about a full-sized Blue Whale? Interested in interacting with live Butterflies in a huge conservatory? Then the American Museum of Natural History is just for you!
Between the dinosaurs, animal specimen displays, space exploration exhibits, educational movies, live demonstrations, and the impressive architecture of the museum itself, any science fan or inquisitive family should reserve a whole day to spend at this impressive New York museum.
The American Museum of Natural History is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., except on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. The American Museum of Natural History and it is located at Central Park West and 79th Street.
The following are points of interest for visiting the American Museum of Natural History:
- The Dinosaurs: The American Museum of Natural History is famous for its amazing Dinosaur exhibits! The main Dinosaur exhibit is located on the 4th floor of the museum where you can see and get close to giant Dinosaur fossils including an Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, a 122-foot-long Titanosaur and even a Tyrannosaurus Rex!
- The Butterfly Conservatory: If you are lucky enough to visit the museum between December and May, you will be able to enjoy this annual seasonal exhibit where you can view many different varieties of beautiful butterflies and moths.
- Space Exploration: Stop by the Rose Center for Earth and Space also see the popular Hayden Planetarium f or amazing presentations on all things, ‘Space.’ The Hayden Planetarium is a giant, sphere-shaped planetarium, where guests watch a high-resolution version of the universe displayed above. Cullman Hall also presents educational exhibits on space exploration, the universe and earth.
- IMAX: In addition to breathtaking visuals, IMAX films and Space Shows are a great way to get off your feet in between exhibits. The films last about 40 minutes, and most are appealing to both children and adults. To ensure you get the best seats, get to the theater 15 minutes before showtime. This provides time if you get lost.
- Hall of Biodiversity: This incredibly interesting set of exhibits include a 2,500 square-foot walkthrough exhibit featuring over 160 species of flora, fauna and more to tell an engaging story.
- The Milstein Hall of Ocean Life: No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you – that IS a full-size, 94-foot long model of a Blue Whale hanging from the ceiling. You will also see many more examples of ocean life including Sharks, a giant Squid, Dolphin and more.
- Museum Shops: You may want to pick up an item to remember your visit to the museum. There are several shops in the museum offering a variety of items photos, posters, books, calendars and many more souvenirs.
This latest NYC Visitor Blog article, ‘Top New York Attractions: Visit the American Museum of Natural History’ – just scratches the surface of what you can expect from your visit to the American Museum of Natural History! Be sure to schedule an afternoon or a full day to enjoy this amazing New York Attraction.
When you are ready to book your next visit to New York, see our current Special Offers for the ‘Guaranteed Best Rates’ at our Times Square Hotel.
If you are looking for more ‘New York Things to do’, see our New York Visitors Guide for more inspiration!