Things to do in New York: Watch Free Movies in Bryant Park
Warm Summer nights and free movies in Bryant Park, what could be better? This article in our New York Visitors Blog, ‘Things to do in New York: Watch Free Movies in Bryant Park’ details how to enjoy a free movie in the open-air theater of Bryant Park.
Summertime in New York is a great time of the year to visit. So many events, activities and things to do in the city, including the ‘Watch Free Movies in Bryant Park.’ This is one of the most popular ‘Things to do in New York’ and this article in our New York Visitors Blog will give you all the details to make the most to this great activity.
Free Movies at Bryant Park
Location: Behind the New York Public Library between 40th and 42nd Streets & Fifth and Sixth Avenues.
Distance from Hotel Mela: 3 Blocks
Before any visit to New York most visitors make a list of all the things they want to do when they arrive in the city. A walk-through Central Park. A visit to the Empire State Building, 9/11 Memorial, Rockefeller Center, a tour around Times Square, even a Broadway Show.
What may not be on your list is watching a free movie in Bryant Park! Trust us, this is a great activity to enjoy with your significant other or family.
The air is warm during the summer months, and the sun sets late in the day so it is relaxing to bring a blanket, some pillows, a cold drink, wine or other beverage and snacks to enjoy a top popular film like, ’Good Fellas,’ ‘Big,’ ‘Coming to America’ or one of the many other popular films. See below for a complete list of scheduled films.
There’s even a ‘Fan Choice’ film where guests can vote for the film of their choice. See below for details.
Free Movies at Bryant Park – What You Should Know:
- Bring a blanket and sit on the Lawn to enjoy great food, friends, and a feature film. Lawn and food and wine concessions open 5 p.m. The film begins playing at sunset.
- Movie Nights are presented by Netflix with support from Chandon and Vulture.
- Food items for sale curated by Hester Street Fair on the Fountain Terrace, and beer and wine available for purchase on the eastern end of the Lawn.
- The Lawn opens 5 p.m. for blankets and picnicking
- Films begin at sunset (typically between 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.)
- All packages including bags, briefcases, and backpacks are subject to inspection
- No dogs allowed on the Lawn
- No chairs, tables, or plastic ground coverings (including sheets, tarps, bags, or pads) are permitted on the Lawn
- Buy a blanket at the Bryant Park Shop on the Fountain Terrace
- Hester Street Fair hosts food vendors on the Fountain Terrace with drink and delicious snack and meal options
- For the protection of all Movie Nights attendees, all bags will be inspected before entering the Lawn area
- The gravel area surrounding the Lawn opens 4pm. The Bryant Park Lawn opens 5 p.m.
Food & Drink and Bryant Park:
Fountain Terrace offers the city’s best vendors that offer great food and drink to enjoy during your picnic during the Free Movies at Bryant Park, or any time during the day.
Free Movies in Bryant Park – 2019 Summertime Movie Line-Up:
- June 10 – Big: - Starring Tom Hanks and directed by Penny Marshall
- June 17 - Big Daddy: Starring Adam Sandler and directed by Dennis Dugan
- June 24 - Fan Choice: Vote on Twitter @vulture starting June 3
- July 1 - To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before: Starring Lana Condor and Noah Centineo, directed by Susan Johnson and written by Jenny Han
- July 8 - Carrie (1976): Starring Sissy Spacek, directed by Brian De Palma and written by Stephen King (novel)
- July 15 - Bad Boys: Starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and directed by Michael Bay
- July 22 - Coming To America: Starring Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall, directed by John Landis and written by Eddie Murphy
- July 29 - Goodfellas: Starring Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci and directed by Martin Scorsese
- August 5 – Anchorman: Starring Will Ferrell, directed by Adam McKay and written by Will Ferrell & Adam McKay
- August 12 - Fan Choice: Vote on Twitter @vulture starting July 22
Fan Choice Voting – What You Need to Know:
Guests can participate in voting to see their favorite movie for 2 of the scheduled showings this Summer, June 24th and August 12th. Simply send you choice via Twitter to: @vulture
Fan Choice Voting for the June 24th Showing:
- Selections for the first Fan Choice night will be announced on Twitter @vulture - Monday, June 3.
- Vote between 4 choices by June 10.
- Vote between the final 2 choices by June 18.
- The winning film for the first Fan Choice will be announced June 18 and will play in Bryant Park June 24.
Fan Choice Voting for August 12th Showing:
- Selections for the second Fan Choice night will be announced on Twitter @vulture - Monday, July 22.
- Vote between 4 choices by July 29.
- Vote between the final 2 choices by August 6.
- The winning film for the second Fan Choice will be announced August 6 and will play in Bryant Park August 12.
This New York Visitors Blog article, ‘Things to do in New York: Watch Free Movies in Bryant Park’ – gives you tips and information on how to make the most of enjoying this great Summer time New York activity.
When you are ready to book your next visit to New York, see our current Special Offers for the ‘Guaranteed Best Rates’ at our Times Square Hotel.
If you are looking for more New York things to do, see our New York Visitors Guide for more inspiration!